Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Skyventure Adventure

Last week my husband and I decided to spice life up a bit. We signed up for an indoor skydiving session at Skyventure up near the Park Meadows Mall. You know, just a sweet little lunch date in the middle of the week. No big deal, right?

My husband has made a reservation for us to see what this place is all about. (The wonderful staff at Skyventure recommend making a reservation, but it is not required.) When we get there, we are given a form to fill out. It's that form you always have to fill out saying that you won't sue if you die....this inspires a lot of confidence, let me tell you. It also asks if you have ever dislocated a shoulder, if you have heart problems, or if you are pregnant. Since our answers were no, no and no, we were ready to meet our instructor, Mike.

After introductions, Mike leads us to a small room and asks us to watch a video about the experience. Unlike most instructional videos, this one is actually short and to the point. It lasted about 5 minutes, perfect for my short attention span. After it ends, Mike comes back in and makes sure we understood all of the hand signals and answers any questions we have. It all seems so simple. This makes me very nervous.

Mike leads us over to a counter where we are outfitted for our adventure. We are given knee and elbow pads and sexiest purple and yellow jumpsuits anyone could imagine. Raawwwrrrr, I was lookin' hot! We were then told to make sure our shoes were strapped on tight and shown what happens to them if they fly off. Not a pretty sight. They looked like my neighbor's dog used them as a chew toy. This wind tunnel is no joke! After that, I thankfully took my helmet, goggles and ear plugs. Feeling very safe, we proceeded to the benches that surround the wind tunnel.

Due to the fact that I am somewhat clumsy and not very athletic, I let the husband go first. Bad idea. He's a former gymnast and takes to the wind tunnel like a fish to water. Mike's jaw drops and I can see the beginnings of a man-crush. After two minutes of perfection, my husband comes out of the wind tunnel and the instructors are actually clapping. Great, how am I supposed to follow that? I find my way to the door of the tunnel and manage to forget everything I just learned. Somehow, I make it in. Suddenly, I'm exhilarated and terrified at the same time. This is definitely more difficult than the video made it seem, but Mike's instructions are clear and I am able to get stable enough to quell the panic attack building inside of me. I spent the two minutes trying not to bump into the walls and trying to stay stable. When my time was up, Mike led me to the door and I gratefully took a seat. We each had one more turn left. The husband continued to impress during his time. When my turn came around, I did a little better, but still was not sold on this adventure. Then, Mike took things into his own hands. Actually, they were my ankle and my side. He grabbed onto me and took me flying up the tunnel and back down again. Then, we did a really fast turn and then up again. At that moment, I was hooked.

After our flight, and several minutes of bro-mance with my husband, we are given nifty little certificates and invitations to come back. We walked out the door feeling a little surreal, very windblown and aching to come back again.

I definitely recommend this activity to people who are looking for some adventure. It is a little pricey, though. Due to the fact that prices sometimes change, I'll direct you to the website for the cost.

Here's the info:

address:
9230 Park Meadows Drive
Littleton, CO

(303) 768-9000

http://skyventurecolorado.com/index.php

Definitely check out the website! It's got a ton of info and a great video to watch!


Happy Exploring!

The Girl Around Town

No comments:

Post a Comment